When explaining why your gas mileage is lower, there are several reasons to consider. There could be something wrong with a part of the car or maybe you aren’t using gas efficiently. Either way, it means that your car isn’t running as well as it could be. Maybe you’ve found that you have to spend more at the gas station to fill up your tank. Wondering why gas is being wasted in your car?
Reasons why your car’s gas mileage might be lower:
- Poor Tire Pressure: If your tire pressure is low, this causes the engine to use more fuel to move your car. This is one of the most common causes of lower gas mileage and is one of the easiest issues to fix. It’s important to make sure that the tire pressure levels don’t exceed the maximum pressure levels as well.
- Faulty Oxygen Sensors & Air Filters: If your car has a bad oxygen sensor or clogged air filters, your mileage can be lowered by up to 20%. The role of the oxygen sensors is to make sure that the air/fuel mixture is balanced. If there is an issue with your oxygen sensors, your engine might use more fuel than it actually needs. The result of this is wasted gas and wasted money. It’s important to also make sure that your air filters aren’t clogged, so your car can run more efficiently.
- Worn Spark Plugs: Your car depends on spark plugs to start and run. The spark plugs power the car by igniting the gas and they also makes sure the car stays functioning while on the road. If the spark plugs are worn or dirty, the engine won’t be able to burn all of the fuel. This will waste gas, as well as lower your gas mileage. At Tommy’s we handle all aspects of engine repair, including spark plugs.
- Fuel Injector Trouble: The role of the fuel injectors is to put fuel in the engine. Any issue with the fuel injectors, like a leak, could mean that your car will run less efficiently. If the fuel injectors are clogged or dirty, this can result in wasted gas as well.
- Bad Driving Habits: You could be unaware that some of your driving habits are the reasons why your gas mileage is lower. If you drive aggressively and accelerate quickly, you’re using more fuel and more gas than what your car needs to run. Another thing that wastes gas is idling. If your engine is on but you are parked and not moving for a while, you might as well turn your car off.
Tommy’s High Tech Auto Repair to Keep Your Car Running Efficiently
Tommy’s High Tech Auto Repair has been keeping drivers in the Denton, Texas area on the road since 1991. When you need great auto care backed up by excellent customer service, you can trust Tommy’s. We offer factory recommended maintenance, air conditioning services, engine diagnostics, brake systems, steering and suspension, electrical diagnosis and repair, transmission and drivetrain, engine repair, and cooling system services. To schedule an appointment or get in touch, give us a call at 940-239-3880 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.